A simple spectrophotometric method was developed to determine the sulfasalazine drug. The method based on the reaction between sodium 1, 2-naphthoquinone-4-sulfonate (NQS) regent with the amino group in the sulfasalazine drug. Maximum absorption of the product was recorded at 456 nm. Beer’s law was obeyed within the concentration range (1-25) ×10-5 M. The molar absorptivity was 1.438 ×104 L.mole-1.cm-1. Molar ratio and Job’s methods revealed that the ratio between the sulfasalazine drug and NQS reagent is 1:1. Average recovery, relative standard deviation (RSD), limit of quantitation (LOQ) and limit of detection (LOD) were 103.6011%, 0.6072%, 0.0273 and 0.0911 M, respectively. The suggested method was also applied to the sulfasalazine tablets (pharmaceutical preparation).
Cite this article:
Sami W. AL-Hasnawi, Maha S. Nasr. Spectrophotometric determination of Sulfasalazine drug in pure and Pharmaceutical preparation using sodium 1, 2-naphthoquinone-4-sulfonate (NQS) reagent. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4625-4628. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00814.8
1. El-Wahed MN, Refat MS, El-Megharbel SM. Spectroscopic, thermal and biological studies of coordination compounds of sulfasalazine drug: Mn (II), Hg (II), Cr (III), ZrO (II), VO (II) and Y (III) transition metal complexes. Bulletin of Materials Science. 2009 Apr 1; 32(2):205-14.
2. Bell CM, Habal FM. Safety of topical 5-aminosalicylic acid in pregnancy. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 1997 Dec 1; 92(12).
3. Diav–Citrin O, Park YH, Veerasuntharam G, Polachek H, Bologa M, Pastuszak A, Koren G. The safety of mesalamine in human pregnancy: a prospective controlled cohort study. Gastroenterology. 1998 Jan 1; 114(1):23-8.
4. Sutherland L, Roth D, Beck P, May G, Makiyama K. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000; (2):CD000543.
5. Hanauer SB, Sandborn WJ, Kornbluth A, Katz S, Safdi M, Woogen S, Regalli G, Yeh C, Smith-Hall N, Ajayi F. Delayed-release oral mesalamine at 4.8 g/day (800 mg tablet) for the treatment of moderately active ulcerative colitis: the ASCEND II trial. The American journal of gastroenterology. 2005 Nov; 100(11):2478.
6. Kwiecień A, Piątek K, Żmudzki P, Krzek J. TLC—Densitometric Determination of Sulfasalazine and Its Possible Impurities in Pharmaceutical Preparations. Acta Chromatographica. 2015 Dec; 27(4):623-35.
7. Wahl C, Liptay S, Adler G, Schmid RM. Sulfasalazine: a potent and specific inhibitor of nuclear factor kappa B. The Journal of clinical investigation. 1998 Mar 1; 101(5):1163-74.
8. Refat MS, Mohamed SF. Spectroscopic, thermal and antitumor investigations of sulfasalazine drug in situ complexation with alkaline earth metal ions. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2011 Nov 1; 82(1):108-17.
9. Sadeghi S, Motaharian A, Moghaddam AZ. Electroanalytical determination of sulfasalazine in pharmaceutical and biological samples using molecularly imprinted polymer modified carbon paste electrode. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2012 Jun 20; 168:336-44.
10. Saleh MM, Hashem EY, Youssef AK, Abdel-Kader DA. UV-Visible Spectrophotometric Methods for Direct Determination of Sulfasalazine Antibiotic Drug in Its Pharmaceutical Formulations. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 4:205-26.
11. Mashkour MS, Kahlol MK, AL-Hasnawi SW. Colorimetric Determination of Metoclopramide Hydrochloride and Glutathione by using 1, 2 Naphthaquinolinc-4-Sulphonate Sodium Reagents. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 Aug 1; 11(8):3290-4.
12. Hameed NM. Spectrophotometric Determination of Sulfasalazine by Coupling with Diazotized p-Nitroaniline - Application to Pharmaceutical Formulations. Rafidain journal of science. 2011; 22(3):88-101.
13. Rao BT, Sudheer CH, Kumar DR, Rambabu C. Spectrophotometric Method for Assay of Sulfasalazine in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2012; 4(3):114-5.
14. Menon SK, Mistry BR, Joshi KV, Sutariya PG, Patel RV. Analytical detection and method development of anticancer drug Gemcitabine HCl using gold nanoparticles. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2012 Aug 1; 94:235-42.
15. Christian GD. Analytical Chemistry. 6th ed., John Wiley and Sons Ltd., India. 12, 2004.