S. Sandhoshini Meena, I. Somasundaram
S. Sandhoshini Meena1, I. Somasundaram2*
1Department of Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advance Studies (VISTAS), Pallavaram, Chennai - 600117, Tamil Nadu, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advance Studies (VISTAS), Pallavaram, Chennai - 600117, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2020
This study aimed to investigate the short-term effects of salbutamol in Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients and to assess the incidence of Hyperglycemia and Tachycardia. The study is a Prospective, observational study conducted in Department of General Medicine on a sample of 136 COPD patients. After administration of Nebulised salbutamol, the Heart Rate and Random Blood Sugar (RBS) levels of patients were assessed in two periods; baseline and after 24 hour. The Random Blood Sugar mean was significantly increased after 24 hour of nebulizer administration (p<0.0001). The Heart Rate mean was significantly increased after 24 hour of nebulizer administration (p<0.0001). The nebulizer applying salbutamol has a profound effect in increasing the Random Blood Sugar level and Heart Rate after 24 hours of administration.
Cite this article:
S. Sandhoshini Meena, I. Somasundaram. Impact of Salbutamol in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases patients: A prospective observational study on Clinical interventions. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4621-4624. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00813.6
S. Sandhoshini Meena, I. Somasundaram. Impact of Salbutamol in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases patients: A prospective observational study on Clinical interventions. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4621-4624. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00813.6 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-10-16
1. López-Campos JL, Tan W and Soriano JB. Global burden of COPD. Respirology. 2015; 21(1):14-23.
2. Cekici L, Valipour A, Kohansal R and Burghuber OC. Short term effects of inhaled salbutamol on autonomic cardiovascular control in healthy subjects: a placebo-controlled study. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2009; 67(4):394-402.
3. Matthew Neame, Octavio Aragon, Ricardo M Fernandes and Ian Sinha. Salbutamol or aminophylline for acute severe asthma: how to choose which one, when and why?. Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed. 2015; 100(4):215-22.
4. Omar Farooq Nafea Al-Azzawi1, Muhammed Waheeb Al. Obaidy and Doaa Mohammed Shihab. The effect of Nebulized salbutamol on Serum Potassium and Blood Sugar Level of Asthmatic Patients. Global Journal of Health Science. 2018; 10(9):25.
5. Fowler SJ and Lipworth BJ. Pharmacokinectics and systemic beta2-adrenoceptor-mediated responses to inhaled salbutamol. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2001; 51(4):359-62.
6. Uysal E, Solak S, Carus M, Uzun N and Cevik E. Salbutamol abuse is associated with Ventricular Fibrillation. Turk J Emerg Med. 2016; 15(2):87-9.
7. KP Dawson, AC Penna and P Manglick. Acute asthma, salbutamol and hyperglycaemia. Acta Prediatr. 1995; 84:305-7.
8. Kallergis EM, Manios EG, Kanaupakis EM, Schiza SE, Mavrakis HE, Klapsinos NK and Vardas PE. Acute electrophysiologic effects of inhaled salbutamol in humans. Chest. 2005; 127:2057-63.
9. Rusinowicz T, Zielonka TM and Zycinska K. Cardiac Arrhythmias in patients with exacerbation of COPD. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017; 1022:53-62.
10. Judith M. Watson and A. Richens. The effects of salbutamol and terbutaline on physiological tremor, bronchial tone and heart rate. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1974; 1(3): 223–227.
11. Jarrti T, Kaila T, Tahvanainen K, Kuusela T, Vanto T and Valikmaki I. The acute effects of inhaled salbutamol on the beat-to-beat variability of heart rate and blood pressure assessed by spectral analysis. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1997;43:421–8.
12. Salpeter SR, Ormiston TM, Salpeter EE. Cardiovascular effects of ß-agonists in patients with asthma and COPD: a meta-analysis. Chest. 2004;125:2309–21.
13. Bennett, J. A., and Tattersfield, A. E. Time course and relative dose potency of systemic effects from salmeterol and salbutamol in healthy subjects. Thorax. 2000; 52(5): 458-464.
14. Dickens, G. R., McCoy, R. A., West, R., Stapczynski, J. S., and Clifton, G. D. Effect of nebulized albuterol on serum potassium and cardiac rhythm in patients with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Pharmacotherapy.2007; 14(6):729-733.
15. Holt, T. Inhaled Beta Agonists. Respiratory Care.2007; 52(7), 820-832.