Nephrotoxicity is a poisonous effect of some substances, both toxic chemicals and medication, on the kidneys. Drugs are a common source of acute kidney injury. Drugs shown to cause nephrotoxicity exert their toxic effects by one or more common pathogenic mechanisms. Nephrotoxic drugs include Antimicrobials, Amphotericin B, Betalactam antibiotics, Cidofovir, Zoledronate, NSAIDs, Cyclosporins, ACE Inhibitors, Methotrexate. A number of herbs are traditionally used in different countries for treating drug- or toxin-induced hepatic and renal disorders. Various fruits, plant extracts, spices, essential oils are also used in treating drug induced nephrotoxicity. The actions of the above mentioned natural sources will be discussed in this review article.
Cite this article:
Umme Salma Durbar. Nature’s Cure for the Management of Drug Induced Nephrotoxicity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 8(11): Nov., 2015; Page 1593-1597. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00284.X
Umme Salma Durbar. Nature’s Cure for the Management of Drug Induced Nephrotoxicity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 8(11): Nov., 2015; Page 1593-1597. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00284.X Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2015-8-11-23
1. Evaluation of biochemical effects of Casuarina equisetifolia extract on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress in rats. Phytochemical analysis Walid Hamdy El-Tantawy, Shaza Abdel-Halim Mohamed, and Ekram Nemr Abd Al Haleem. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2013 Nov; 53(3): 158–165. Published online 2013 Jul 10. doi: 10.3164/jcbn.13-19
2. An overview of drug-induced acute kidney injury Pannu, Neesh MD, SM, FRCP; Nadim, Mitra K. MD April 2008 - Volume 36 - Issue 4 - pp S216-S223
3. Drug-Induced Nephrotoxicity Cynthia A. Naughton, PharmD, BCPS, North Dakota State University College of Pharmacy, Nursing, and Allied Sciences, Fargo, North Dakota
4. Kaufman J, Dhakal M, Patel B, Hamburger R. Community-acquired acute renal failure. Am J Kidney Dis. 1991;17(2):191-198.
5. Nash K, Hafeez A, Hou S. Hospital-acquired renal insufficiency. Am J Kidney Dis. 2002;39(5):930-936.
6. Bellomo R. The epidemiology of acute renal failure: 1975 versus 2005. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2006;12(6):557-560.
7. Kohli HS, Bhaskaran MC, Muthukumar T, et al. Treatment-related acute renal failure in the elderly: a hospital-based prospective study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2000;15(2):212-217.
8. Drug-Induced Nephrotoxicity Andries J. Hoitsma, Jack F. M. Wetzels, Robert A. P. Koene March 1991, Volume 6, Issue 2, pp 131-147
9. A review on medicinal plants for nephroprotective activity Mohana Lakshmi. S, Usha Kiran Reddy. T and Sandhya Rani. KS. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research Vol 5, Issue 4, 2012
10. Ann Biol Clin (Paris). 1989;47(2):91-7.[Drug nephrotoxicity: mechanisms of action]. [Article in French] Fillastre JP1.
11. Ali BH, Al-Wabel N, Mahmoud O, Mousa HM, Hashad M. Curcumin has a palliative action on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2005;19:473–477.
12. Schmid U, Stopper H, Heidland A, Schupp N. Benfotiamine exhibits direct antioxidative capacity and prevents induction of DNA damage in vitro. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2008;24:371–377
13. Evaluation of biochemical effects of Casuarina equisetifolia extract on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress in rats. Phytochemical analysis Walid Hamdy El-Tantawy, Shaza Abdel-Halim Mohamed, and Ekram Nemr Abd Al Haleem
14. Alqasoumi S. Protective effect of Ipomea aquatica forsk on gentamicin-induced oxidative stress and nephropathy in rats. Topclass J Herb Med. 2013;2:13–19.
15. Shirwaikar A, Issac D, Malini S. Effect of Aerva lanata on cisplatin and gentamicin models of acute renal failure. J Ethnopharmacol. 2004;90:81–86
16. Barradas-Dermitz DM, et al. Hibiscus sabdariffa L., roselle calyx: From ethnobotany to pharmacology. J. Expl. Pharmacol. 2012;4:25–39.
17. Sini JM, et al. The beneficial effect of the extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa calyces in alloxan diabetic rats: Hypoglycaemic and hypolipidaemic activities. J. Med. Plant Res. 2011;5(11):2182–2186.
18 Ajiboye TO, et al. Antioxidant and drug detoxification potentials of Hibiscus sabdariffa anthocyanin extract. Drug Chem. Toxicol. 2011; 34(2):109–115.
19. A review on medicinal plants for nephroprotective activity Mohana Lakshmi. S, Usha Kiran Reddy. T and Sandhya Rani. KS. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research Vol 5, Issue 4, 2012
20. Shelkea TT, Bhaskarb VH, Adkara PP, Jhaa U, Oswala RJ. Nephroprotective activity of ethanolic extract of stem barks of Crataeva nurvala Buch Ham. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2011; 2(10): 2712-17.
21 Ruby Varghese., Mohammed Moideen M., Mohammed Suhail MJ., Dhanapal CK., “Nephroprotective effect of ethanolic extract of Strychnospotatorum Seeds in Rat Models”, Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences, 2011; 2 (3): 521-529.
22. Vinit Movaliyaa., Devang Khamarb & Manjunath Setty M., “Nephroprotective activity of aqueous extract of Aerva Javanica roots in cisplatin induced renal toxicity in rats”, Pharmacologyonline, 2011;1:68-74.
23. Shelke T. T., Kothai.R., Adkar. P. P., Bhaskar.V.H., Juvale. K.C., Kamble B.B and Oswal R. J., “Nephroprotective activity of ethanolic extract of dried fruits of Pedalium murex Linn”, Journal of Cell and Tissue Research, 2009; 9(1):1687-1690.
24. Sreedevi. A., Bharathi K., Prasad K.V.S.R.G., “Effect of Vernoniacinerea aerial parts against Cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats”, Pharmacologyonline, 2011;2: 548-555
25. Nephroprotective Activity of Benincasa hispida (Thunb.) Cogn. Fruit Extract against Paracetamol Induced Nephrotoxicity in Rats Hyma Sara Varghese, Sarita Kotagiri, Vrushabendra Swamy BM, Archana Swamy. P, Gunti Gowtham Raj
26. Nat Prod Res. 2010 May; 24(9):846-54. doi: 10.1080/14786410903132589. Nephroprotective activity of Momordica dioica Roxb. in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Jain A, Singhai AK.
27. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. Evaluation of Nephroprotective and Anti-Nephrotoxic Properties of Gokshur Fruits in Drug Induced Nephrotoxicity
28. Al-Qarawi AA, Abdel-Rahman H, Mousa HM, Ali BH, El-Mougy SA. Nephroprotective action of Phoenix dactylifera. in gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity. Pharm Biol. 2008;4:227–230.
29. Nephroprotective activity of Solanum xanthocarpum fruit extract against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and renal dysfunction in experimental rodents Talib Hussain, Ramesh K Gupta , K Sweety , Bavani Eswaran, M Vijayakumar, Chandana Venkateswara Rao doi: 10.1016/S1995-7645(12)60107-2
30. Ginger Essential Oil Ameliorates Cisplatin-Induced Nephrotoxicity in Mice Marcio J Damião , Gisele Giannocco , Renata Grespan , Expedito L Silva , Janaina S Duarte , Rui MB Maciel , Alciléia N Yamada , Ciomar A Bersani Amado and Roberto KN Cuman. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research December 2013; 12 (6): 959-965 ISSN: 1596-5996 (print); 1596-9827 (electronic)
31. Badary O. A., Nagi M. N., al-Shabanah O. A., al-Sawaf H. A., al-Sohaibani M. O., al-Bekairi A. M. Thymoquinone ameliorates the nephrotoxicity induced by cisplatin in rodents and potentiates its antitumor activity. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 1997;75:1356–1361. doi: 10.1139/y97-169
32. B. H. Ali, Am. J. Chin. Med., 32, 49 (2004). DOI: 10.1142/S0192415X04001710 The Effect of Nigella Sativa Oil on Gentamicin Nephrotoxicity in Rats
33. Antunes L.M., Darin J.D., Bianchi Nde L. Effects of the antioxidants curcumin or selenium on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and lipid peroxidation in rats. Pharmacological Research. 2001;43:145–150.
34. Ali B.H., Al-Wabel N., Mahmoud O., Mousa H.M., Hashad M. Curcumin has a palliative action on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Fundamental & Clinical Pharmacology. 2005;19:473–477
35 β-caryophyllene ameliorates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in a cannabinoid 2 receptor-dependent manner Béla Horváth, Partha Mukhopadhyay, Malek Kechrid, Vivek Patel, Galin Tanashian, David A. Wink, Jürg Gertsch, and Pál Pacher
36. Indian J Pharmacol. 2014 Mar-Apr; 46(2): 166–170.doi: 10.4103/0253-7613.129309 Mentha piperita in nephrotoxicity – a possible intervention to ameliorate renal derangements associated with gentamicin Naveed Ullah, Mir Azam Khan, Taous Khan, Afzal Haq Asif, and Waqar Ahmad
37. Amelioration of nitrobenzene-induced nephrotoxicity by the ethanol extract of the herb Euphorbia hirta Subramanian Suganya, Dominic Sophia, Chinthamony Arul Raj, Muthaiyan Ahalliya Rathi, Lakshmanan Thirumoorthi, Periyasamy Meenakshi, Dugganaboyana Guru Kumar, and Velliyur Kanniyapan Gopalakrishnan. Pharmacognosy Res. 2011 Jul-Sep; 3(3): 201–207. doi: 10.4103/0974-8490.85009
38. Therapeutic efficacy of Pimpinella tirupatiensis (Apiaceae) on acetaminophen induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress in male albino rats S. Palani, S. Raja , R. Praveen Kumar , Soumya Jayakumar, B. Senthil Kumar. International Journal of PharmTech Research .Vol.1, No.3, pp 925-934, July-Sept 2009
39. Green Tea Polyphenols Stimulate Mitochondrial Biogenesis and Improve Renal Function after Chronic Cyclosporin A Treatment in Rats Hasibur Rehman, Yasodha Krishnasamy, Khujista Haque, Ronald G. Thurman, John J. Lemasters, Rick G. Schnellmann, and Zhi Zhong PLoS One. 2013; 8(6): e65029. Published online 2013 Jun 3. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0065029