Three simple, sensitive, selective and accurate spectroscopic methods (A, B and C) have been developed for quantitative estimation of olsalazine sodium in bulk drug and pharmaceutical formulation (capsules). Method A and B is based on the reduction of ferric ions to ferrous ion by olsalazine sodium, which further in presence of 1,10-Phenanthroline, 2,2'-Bipyridyl produce blood red coloured chromogen with absorption maximum at 510 nm and 518 nm respectively. Method C is based on the direct colorimetric measurements of olsalazine sodium with 0.1N Sodium hydroxide. It gives yellowish-orange coloured chromogen with absorption maximum at 465nm. Method A, B and C obey Beer’s law in concentration range of 1-5 µg/ml, 5-25 µg/ml and 1-5 µg/ml respectively. Interference studies were conducted and it was found that the common excipients usually present in the dosage forms do not interfere in the proposed methods. The optical characteristics, regression analysis data, and precision of the methods were calculated. The proposed methods were found to be accurate, reproducible and consistent. It was successfully applied for the analysis of marketed formulation and could be effectively used for the routine analysis of formulations.
Cite this article:
S.M. Malipatil, Mogal Dipali, Bharath S. Athanikar. Spectrophotometric Methods for Determination of Olsalazine Sodium. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(12): Dec. 2011; Page 1852-1856.
1. O’ Neil M J.
The Merck Index: An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs and Biologicals. 14th edition Merck and Co.
2. Sweetman S C. Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference.
35th edition London Pharmaceutical Press
3. British Pharmacopoeia. Medicines and Health care
products regulatory agency (MHRA) London2008; 2:1584.
4. Katzung B G. Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. 10th edition Singapore McGraw Hill 2008:
5. Willooughby C P. Journal of Clinical pharmacokinetics
and metabolism. Gut 1982; 23: 1081.
6. Hugezand, R.A.Van Hugezand et al, HPLC determination
in biological samples, Journal of chromatography, 1984; (26):304,470.
7. Bystrowska B, Nowak J, Jerzy Brandys. Journal of
Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2000;
8. Zhang Min-bo, Han Jia-yi, Huang Zong-yu., Separation
and Determination of Olsalazine Sodium and Its Impurities by HPLC 2001-04
(Zhejiang Institute for Drug Control, Hangzhou\ 310004).
9. Shelver GD, Verseput R.Rapid automated optimated of
europeanpharamacopoeia monograph method for analysis of olsalazine sodium by
HPLC, conference 91 Varian, Inc., 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598,
10. Yuang Guo-Ping1, Chen Sai-Zhen2, Hu Jian-Yong3.
Determination of Residual Organic Solvents in Olsalazine Sodium by Capillary GC
with Headspace,DOI Cnki:Sun: Zhou.0.2004-07-022. Chinese journal of
Pharmaceuticals; (24): 220-24.
11. Dahlund M, Ake Olin A. A Spectrophotometric study of
the complexation of Olsalazine and salicylic acid with calcium and magnesium.
12. Uslu B, Yilmaz S, Ozkan SA. Determination of
olsalazine sodium in pharmaceuticals by differential pulse voltammetry. Journal
of 5 Pharmazie 2001; 56(8): 629-32.