2nd International Conference on Fostering Interdisciplinary Research In Health Sciences (ICFIRHS) 2019 (01-May-2019)        |

Journal :   Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology

Volume No. :   7

Issue No. :  11

Year :  2014

Pages :   1237-1239

ISSN Print :  0974-3618

ISSN Online :  0974-360X


Registration

Allready Registrered
Click to Login

A Pilot Study on Evaluation of Self-Medication among Undergraduate Medical Students in Dhaka, Bangladesh



Address:   Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek1, Md. Zakirul Islam2, Md. Faizur Rahman2, Md. Shakil Akter3, Jahanara Laizu4, Roksana Parvin5, Noor E Tabassum5, Nordin Bin Simbak6, Mainul Haque7
1Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Uttara Adhunik Medical College, House 34, Road 4, Sector 9, Uttara Model Town, Dhaka-1230, Bangladesh
2Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Eastern Medical College, Burichong, Kabila, Comilla-3520, Bangladesh
3Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Bangladesh Medical College, House 32, Road 14/A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka-1209, Bangladesh
4Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Uttara Adhunik Medical College, House 34, Road 4, Sector 9, Uttara Model Town, Dhaka-1230, Bangladesh
5Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Medical College for Women and Hospital, House 4, Road 9, Sector 1, Uttara Model Town, Dhaka-1230, Bangladesh
6Professor and Dean, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (FPSK), Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (UniSZA), Ka
DOI No: Not Available

ABSTRACT:
Background: Self-medication is practiced all over the world. It is very much common among health professionals. Medical students because they are the future doctors thus have special significance. This study wants to assess the magnitude and factors of self-medication among undergraduate medical students in Dhaka city. Material and Methods: Descriptive cross sectional questionnaire based study among the Year-III and IV undergraduate medical students. Results: Among our study participants 392 (93.11%) reported illness and remaining 29 (6.89%) did not report any illness. It was found that 304 (77.55%) participants practiced self-medication followed by professional service seekers 63 (16.07%) and no action takers 25 (6.38%) respectively. The main morbidities for seeking self-medication included fever with headache 254 (83.55%) followed by common cold with cough 196 (64.47%), gastric pain 162 (53.29%). Drugs were commonly used for self-medication included antibiotics 200 (65.79%), antiulcer agents 162 (53.29%), antihistamines 108 (35.53%), antipyretics 100 (32.89%), vitamins with minerals 100 (32.89%), cough syrup 87 (28.62%), analgesics 79 (25.99%). Main sources of information were self-decision 221 (72.70%), information from reading materials 87 (28.62%), physicians advice without attending 54 (17.76%), advice from relatives and friends 37 (12.17%). Among reasons for practicing self-medication 196 (64.47%) respondents preferred it for seeking quick relief followed by minor illness 179 (58.88%), avoidance of long waiting at clinics 79 (25.99%). Conclusion: Self-medication is widely common among medical students. So authorities and faculties should create awareness regarding safe self- medication and educate the students regarding rational use of medicine.
KEYWORDS:
Self-medication, Medical Students, Bangladesh.
Cite:
Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek, Zakirul Islam, Md. Faizur Rahman, Md. Shakil Akter, Jahanara Laizu, Roksana Parvin, Noor E Tabassum, Nordin Bin Simbak, Mainul Haque. A Pilot Study on Evaluation of Self-Medication among Undergraduate Medical Students in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 7(11): Nov. 2014 Page 1240-1245.
[View HTML]      [View PDF]



Visitor's No. :   658616